Dermatologists differentiate four skin types: oily, dry, combination, or normal skin.
- Oily skin. It is characterized by clogged pores and oily sheen. Acne happens quite often as a result of inflammation. The skin ages more slowly due to self-moisturizing with sebum.
- Dry skin. This skin type is subjected to the most rapid aging; dehydration of the dermis provokes a loss of elasticity; wrinkles and irritations appear at an early age. The skin is thin, flaky, and requires special care.
- Combination skin. It is a combination of oily and dry skin: flaking skin on the cheeks and sebum secretion in the T-zone (chin, nose, forehead) that often suffers from inflammation. You can also use the versatile 2-in-1 combo skincare product.
- Normal skin. There are no visible imperfections. Normal skin has healthy color and matte texture; you just need to maintain a balance of the epidermis.
Skin types are not always easy to identify. Your skin type will change depending on the season, environmental condition (humidity, sun, etc.), hormone level, and nutrition. It’s important to know your skin type before picking a facial cleanser, moisturizer, or any other product. This way, you can find the proper care for your unique needs and avoid irritation like acne breakouts or dry patches.
Determine Your Skin Type
How do you determine your skin type on your own? You can do so by carrying out a tissue test.
Here's a simple guide to doing it:
- Wash the face with your cleansing foam or soft gel, and then gently pat dry with a towel.
- During the next hour, do not use cosmetics or skincare products and do not expose the skin to dry air or high temperatures (hairdryers, hot rooms, etc.).
- After an hour, put a thin paper towel on your face, press it in the T-zone and cheeks, and hold for about a minute.
See the results:
- If there is no sebum secretion on the surface, then you have dry skin.
- Light, slightly visible traces indicate that your skin type is normal.
- Greasy traces are clearly visible in the T-zone, but without traces from the cheeks point to combination skin.
- Visible greasy outlines over the entire surface of the paper towel indicate your skin type is oily.
You may also have acne-prone skin, which tends to become inflamed. Such skin has to be treated with special care.
How do you not get mistaken about your own skin type? The best advice is to make an appointment with a dermatologist. Dermatoscopy allows using special equipment to examine areas of the skin with high magnification; it assesses the texture of the skin, the presence of micro-exfoliation, the condition of the pores, the amount of sebum secretion, and the degree of dehydration. This helps to understand whether your face is dry or oily, identify specific problems, and choose skincare products properly.
What Skincare Products Do You Need Basing On Your Skin Type
Today, a wide range of skincare products are available in the market:
- Facial Scrubs
- Eye creams
- Night creams
Depending on the skin type, different accents are made in the treatment. Dry skin needs more moisture, while oily skin needs more hydration and nutrition.
Oily skin is often called problem skin, and, unfortunately, this is quite justified. Oily skin is prone to shine, and excess sebum clogs pores, but intense cleansing and overuse of facial tonic with a high level of alcohol are not exactly what you need. Oily skin demands hydration. Full-fledged complex care helps achieve a matte and fresh look, regulates sebum production, and removes inflammation, redness, and comedones.
To care for this type of skin, refreshing whitening lotion from Elastect is suitable. The lotion contains wild rose extract, which regulates sebaceous glands, and ginseng extract, which helps to reduce inflammation and stimulates collagen production:
Dry skin. This type of skin is more sensitive to external exposure and more vulnerable to it, resulting in irritation, redness, tightness of the skin, and discomfort. The signs of aging appear much earlier. For such skin, it is necessary to select moisturizers and products that will help to support the protective functions of the skin and its hydro-lipid barrier. Do not forget about nutrients, including vitamins A, C, and E, as these are necessary for the skin. Such care allows you to prevent moisture loss from the skin layers, preventing early skin aging (first wrinkles and lines).
We would recommend Elastect's moisturizer for dry skin types. It contains vegetable squalane which shields and restores the skin. Jojoba oil, which is a natural moisturizer and an antioxidant that prevents damage to the skin, is also included. It helps keep your complexion healthy, looking fresh with its anti-aging qualities, preventing clogged pores. Apply this cream to the face, neck, and upper chest area twice a day with light patting movements:
Combination skin. The skin is quite problematic in terms of care - it reacts differently in different skin zones. Cleansers for oily skin and moisturizers for dry skin are often used, but they are not entirely efficient in this case. It is better to choose products made for combination skin - they consider all the features of this skin type, such as sensitivity, dehydration, wrinkles, and lines, etc.
Try our Moisture Cream: and Face Wash Foam: that contain natural extracts in its composition - scutellaria root extract, glycyrrhiza flavonoid, wild rose extract, ginseng extract, vegetable squalane, jojoba oil:
Normal skin. Those with normal skin are really lucky; however, it doesn’t mean you can use any skincare product. Everyone must consider individual needs.
Normal skin may need active protection from UV and ozone to slow aging. Therefore, normal skincare should also be comprehensive.
For normal skin, Mild Water by Elastect is perfect:
Moisturizing and softening ingredients maintain skin elasticity and firmness with Scutellaria Root Extract, Glycyrrhiza Flavonoid, wild rose extract, and ginseng extract, which are included in its composition.
As you can see, it is not very difficult to determine your skin type, and proper care will make it healthier. It is best to contact professional cosmetologists who can suggest the right care products for different skin types and choose from there on out!
What factors affect the facial skin?
In many respects, the skin's aging process is predetermined by genetics. Still, the environment, lifestyle, habits, working conditions, nutrition, skincare, smoking, and stress also significantly affect the skin.
How to remove the oily shine on your face in summer?
- Use a mattifying cream
- Tone and moisturize your skin using cream
- Use cosmetic ice
- Do face masks
How to tell if your skin type is cold or warm?
Look at the inside of the wrist where the veins are visible. If they appear blue or purple, then your skin is cold. If they appear to be green, your skin tone is warm.